Alysha got me into eating roasted vegetable salads during our Door County trip, so I wanted to experiment with roasted vegetables on a pizza. Chris and I were both amazed when experiment #1 turned out perfectly. As in, we were sitting across the dining table from each other saying "wow, this is actually really good."
There are many vegetables that would roast nicely for this pizza, but I chose eggplant and zucchini. If you have a grill (we left ours behind in Wisconsin), I think this pizza would also be great with grilled vegetables.
Despite not liking tomatoes, I added some to this pizza because Chris loves tomatoes and I like they color the add. I did pick every last one of them off though before enjoying my slices of pizza :)
This pizza comes together quickly once the vegetables are roasted. Just spread a layer of pesto on the Stonefire crust, then top with roasted vegetables. I prefer using a perforated pizza pan for a crisper crust but a baking sheet or pizza stone would work too.
I added arugula just after removing the pizza from the oven. Arugula is too bitter for me in a salad but I like the addition of it on pizzas...in small quantities :)
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 40 minutes
Ingredients (serves 3-4)
- 1 small eggplant, peeled and chopped into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 small zucchini, chopped into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1/2 cup chopped red onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 Stonefire multigrain pizza crust
- 1/4 cup pesto (I used spinach basil pesto)
- 1/4 cup diced tomatoes
- 1/4 cup feta cheese
- 1/4 cup arugula
- Heat oven to 400 degrees. In a large resealable plastic bag, combine the eggplant, zucchini, onion, garlic, olive oil, oregano, salt and pepper. Seal the bag, then shake until the vegetables are coated in oil and seasoning.
- Line a baking sheet with foil and spread the vegetables out in a single layer. Roast for 20 minutes, then toss vegetables. Roast for another 10 minutes or until the vegetables are lightly browned and soft. Leave the oven at 400 degrees for the pizza.
- Place pizza crust on a perforated pizza pan. Spread pesto evenly on the crust, leaving a 1/2-inch border. Add roasted vegetables, tomatoes and feta cheese. Bake for 10 minutes. Add arugula immediately after removing pizza from oven. Slice into 8 pieces and serve.
Powered by Recipage