I've been experimenting with this recipe for awhile, first trying a version with no cheese which Chris promptly rejected. While I agree that the cheese really completes the dish, it was still mighty tasty without it. It also leads me to believe that it would be easy to make a vegan version of this recipe.
Chris and I are both happy with the final recipe I came up with and he didn't once mention missing meat, which is a good sign that carnivores will like this dish too!
Quinoa & Black Bean Taco Bake
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 25 minutes
Ingredients (serves 6-8)
- 1/2 cup quinoa, rinsed
- 1 cup water
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 bell peppers, any color, diced
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 cups coarsely chopped fresh spinach (about 3 oz)
- 1 can (4 oz) diced green chiles
- 1 can (15 oz) black beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 tablespoons taco seasoning
- 1 cup shredded cheddar jack cheese, divided
- Heat oven to 350 degrees. Grease an 11-cup baking dish.
- In a small saucepan, combine quinoa and water. Bring to a boil, cover, and simmer over low for 10 minutes. Remove from heat, and let stand 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat olive oil in a large skillet and saute the bell peppers, onion and garlic for about 5 minutes.
- In a large bowl, combine all ingredients reserving a 1/2 cup of shredded cheese. Fill greased baking dish with mixture, then sprinkle with remaining cheese. Bake for 25 minutes.
Note: This recipe can also be made in 8 ramekins. Bake for 15 minutes.
Powered by Recipage