I love pesto pizza but after eating the same pesto vegetable combination for years, I needed to mix it up a bit. So I googled good pizza vegetables and decided on a combination of broccoli, bell pepper, zucchini, kale and onion...with a pesto base of course.
This pizza starts with my favorite spinach-basil pesto recipe. A triple batch just barely fits in my food processor and I use One Step Ahead containers for freezing 2 ounce portions. The containers are intended for baby food, but they're also perfect for pesto.
Or a tomato-based sauce if you lean that way. I'm firmly in the pesto camp while Chris strongly prefers a traditional tomato sauce on his pizza.
Prepping all the veggies for this pizza is a pain but I look at it as future meal prep because you can't put a whole head of broccoli on a pizza. Although you then have to find a use for 2/3 of a head of broccoli.
I plan to make curried broccoli couscous with my leftover broccoli, sweet potato colcannon with the leftover kale and I'm still brainstorming what to do with the zucchini because I have two more from my CSA box.
Once the veggies are prepped, they just need a quick sauté (everything except the shredded zucchini) and they're ready for the pizza.
Chris makes fun of my unevenly cut pizzas, but I don't care because I have no desire to roll the dough into a perfect circle which would result in more evenly cut slices. I secretly think he likes my wonky-sized slices because he always grabs the largest slice first :)
Pesto Veggie Pizza
Prep Time: 25 minutes
Cook Time: 25 minutes
Ingredients (makes one 12" pizza)
- 1/2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup finely chopped broccoli
- 1/2 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 cups chopped lacinato kale
- 2 oz pesto (I use spinach-basil pesto)
- 1 cup shredded zucchini, squeezed dry
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- Heat oven to 450 degrees with pizza stone in it for 30 minutes.
- Roll out dough into a 12" circle, then dock the dough (prick all over with a fork) and bake on pizza stone for 5-7 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Meanwhile, in a 10" skillet heat oil over medium heat. Sauté broccoli, green pepper and onion for 5 minutes. Add kale and sauté for another 2 minutes.
- After removing the par-baked crust from the oven, spread pesto over the crust leaving a 1/2-inch border. Then top with sautéed vegetables, zucchini and cheese. Finally, sprinkle Italian seasoning evenly over the pizza.
- Bake for another 10 minutes or so, until the cheese has melted and is starting to brown. Depending how salty your pesto is, you may want to add a sprinkle of salt just before serving the pizza.
Powered by Recipage