These burrito bowls are very customizable with quinoa and the black bean pepper mixture just serving as a base. I like to add mild salsa, shredded cheese and avocado. Chris adds fresh tomato and spices his up with hot salsa.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Ingredients (4 servings)
- 2/3 cup quinoa, rinsed
- 1 1/3 cups water
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 large bell peppers (any color), diced
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon chili powder (or taco seasoning)
- 15 oz can of black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- salsa or pico de gallo
- grated cheddar cheese
- sour cream or plain Greek yogurt
- diced tomatoes
- hot sauce or sriracha
- sliced avocado or guacamole
- green onions, chopped
- In a small saucepan, bring quinoa and water to a boil. Cover, reduce heat to medium low and simmer until water is absorbed, 10 to 12 minutes. Set aside for 5 minutes, uncovered.
- After quinoa has finished cooking, heat oil over medium heat in a large skillet. Add peppers, onions and chili powder; cook 5 minutes. Stir in bean and lime juice, cooking 1 minute more. Remove from heat and stir in the quinoa.
- Divide quinoa black bean mixture among four bowls, then add desired toppings.
Recipe adapted from: Black Bean and Quinoa Burritos - Family Circle, October 2013.
Powered by Recipage