Today I visited two places in Milwaukee for the first time - Boelter SuperStore and Simple Cafe. Boelter is a restaurant supply store which is open to the public and also offers cooking classes. After class, three of us (including Lisa) had lunch at Simple Cafe, which just opened this year.
I took a photo of Boelter outside today, but the current muddy March weather makes their website photo look so much better, so that's the one I'm sharing. The cooking classes are held within the store pictured below.
Chef Feker prepared one recipe in class which was quick pickled radishes & cabbage with arugula salad. The salad was good but left me wishing that I liked the taste of arugula. Eating grilled asparagus today was a great reminder that local asparagus will soon be available!
There are several more classes in April, May and June which are listed on Boelter's website, but must be registered for via phone at 414-967-4333. Today's class sold out a couple weeks ago, so I recommend registering soon if you're interested.
Classes are $35 but the fees includes a $25 gift certificate for the SuperStore. I found several items I've been wanting to buy and listed both the Boelter and Amazon prices below to give you an idea as to how their prices compare.
- AccuSharp Knife Sharpener - Boelter $11.59, Amazon $8.90
- Flour Sack Towels 22"x37" - Boelter $13.39, Amazon $10.00
- 7-inch Round Wire Skimmer - Boelter $4.45, Amazon $14.38
- Bormioli Rocco 17oz Glass Bottle - Boelter $3.65, Amazon $7.33
- Tablecraft Firm Grip Zester/Lemon Peeler - Boelter $5.49, Amazon $5.58
- Amco Enameled Aluminum Lemon Squeezer - Boelter $10.69, Amazon $9.53
- Taylor Classic Candy - Deep Fry Thermometer - Boelter $11.75, Amazon $6.89
Simple serves breakfast until 3pm, so I ordered pumpkin pancakes which were outstanding! They are buttermilk pancakes made with roasted pumpkin and topped with toasted pumpkin seed crumble and cinnamon powdered sugar.
Location: 4200 N Port Washington Rd - Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Hours: M-F 8:30am-5:00pm, Sat 9am-3pm
Location: 2124 N Farwell - Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Hours: M-F 6am-3pm, Sat 7am-3pm, Sun 8am-3pm
simplecafemilwaukee.com is listed on their menu, but it's not up and running yet