My latest favorite is to mix in black beans and whole kernel corn, which occurred to me after ordering my favorite naked veggie burrito at Qdoba with black beans and corn salsa.
Today I enjoyed lunch on the balcony while a neighbor had Jamaican music playing on his boat in the background. Another boater cruised through blasting Garth Brooks which wasn't nearly as pleasant.
That's raspberry infused water you see in the photo below with my taco. I can no longer use close proximity to a vending machine as an excuse for drinking Diet Coke all day long now that I work from home. The only trick is keeping frozen fruit and water in a pitcher in my fridge.
I was so excited to get back to cooking after after moving this summer, but our new kitchen is tiny and has an electric stove so it's not quite the same as our last place.
It's really small for one person and it becomes comical when both of us are in the kitchen. It reminds me of a time share condo kitchen, which is perfectly useable but you wouldn't want to use it everyday. Don't get me wrong though, I still plan to cook as often as possible!
Lentil Taco Salad
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 40 minutes
Ingredients (5 salads)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 cup dried brown lentils, rinsed
- 1.25 oz package taco seasoning (or 2 heaping tablespoons taco seasoning)
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 15oz can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 15oz can whole kernel corn, drained
- butter or iceberg lettuce
- chopped tomatoes
- shredded cheese
- salsa or taco sauce
- green onions
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Cook onion and garlic for 3 minutes. Add lentils and taco seasoning. Cook until spices are fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Add broth; bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer until lentils are tender, 30-35 minutes. Uncover lentils and cook until mixture thickens, about 7 minutes.
- In a large bowl, mix together cooked lentils, black beans and corn. Then spoon lentil mixture over a bed of lettuce and add toppings, as desired.
Powered by Recipage