Picking up a 4-pound box of nectarines from Trader Joe's this weekend is what led me to google for nectarine recipes. From what I've heard, peaches and nectarines are nearly interchangeable, so I searched for both types of recipes.
These biscuits are quite easy to make. You can use a biscuit cutter if you prefer standard round biscuits, but I made them in a scone-like shape, which was easier.
First I floured my pastry mat (flour in a extra spice jar is perfect for dusting work surfaces), then patted out the dough, brushed it with milk and cut it into 8 sections with my nylon knife.
Place the biscuits on parchment paper or a silicone baking mat (I still love my Silpat!) and bake for 18-20 minutes.
I really hate to say this, but this biscuit recipe is even better than my grandma's biscuit recipe. I couldn't believe how flaky each biscuit was! I recommend them for breakfast or with tea for an afternoon snack.
Nectarine & Vanilla Biscuits
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 18-20 minutes
Ingredients (8 large biscuits)
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup cold butter, cut into 1/2" chunks
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup milk (plus extra for brushing on top)
- 1 nectarine (or peach), unpeeled and cut into 1/4" chunks
- Heat oven to 400 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper (or a silicone baking mat).
- In the bowl of a food processor, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and butter. Pulse until well combined and crumbly, with bits of butter no larger than a pea.
- Move mixture from food processor into a large bowl. Add vanilla to milk, then add to bowl. Stir a few strokes, then add the nectarine chunks (or peaches) and stir just until you have a soft dough. You'll likely need to use your hands to finish combining the dough.
- On a floured surface, pat the dough out to about 3/4" in a 10-inch circle. Brush the dough with milk, then cut into 8 wedges. Place on prepared baking sheet.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes or until golden.
Powered by Recipage