This is one of those great recipes that can easily be made non-vegetarian for Chris who added minced clams to his portion in order to create clam chowder.
I used my last bag of Alsum's frozen sweet corn in the recipe and I'm hoping to buy more at the winter farmers' market before it ends in April. This soup is delicious on its own, but becomes even tastier when a little shredded Gruyere cheese is added to it!
Corn, Kale & Potato Chowder
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 45 minutes
Ingredients (serves 4)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 1/2 pounds Yukon gold potatoes, peeled and chopped into 1/2" chunks
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 bay leaf
- 6 cups / 6 oz chopped kale (from 1 bunch)
- 2 cups frozen sweet corn
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 cup half-and-half
- 2 oz shredded Gruyere cheese
- In a dutch oven, melt butter over medium heat. Add onion and garlic; saute for 5 minutes.
- Add broth, potatoes, salt and bay leaf. Bring to a boil, then cover, reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes until the potatoes are tender.
- Stir in the kale, corn and basil. Cover and simmer for 10 minutes until the kale is tender. Discard the bay leaf and stir in the half-and-half. Season with salt to taste and top each bowl with cheese before serving.
- Protein: 71 grams total (55 grams without cheese)
- Recipe adapted from: Eats Well With Others
Powered by Recipage