These vegetarians pot pies are delicious and satisfying, especially on a snowy night like tonight. Winter storm Nemo left 6 inches of snow here in Wisconsin and I hope people in the Northeast stay safe this weekend.
The filling for these cornbread topped pot pies includes sweet potatoes, peas, carrots, onion and garbanzo beans.
I love cornbread and it's my favorite part of these pot pies. I much prefer it to the traditional pastry crust that accompanies most pot pies.
Vegetarian Pot Pie
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Ingredients (serves 5)
- 1 pound of sweet potatoes (2 cups chopped, 1/2" pieces)
- 1/2 cup chopped carrots
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 15 oz can garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 3/4 cup cornmeal
- 3/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 1/2 tablespoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg yolk
- 3/4 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- In a large saucepan, add sweet potatoes and carrots, then cover with cold water by at least an inch. Bring water to a boil, then cook for 6 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large saute pan, heat oil over medium heat. Add onions, cook for 5 minutes. Sprinkle in 1/4 cup flour, then pour in the vegetable broth, and stir well. Cook until thickened and bubbly, about 3 minutes.
- Heat oven to 400 degrees and coat five ramekins (or other ovenproof small dishes such as Pyrex) with nonstick cooking spray
- Add the cooked potatoes and carrots, beans, peas and salt & pepper. Cook until the mixture is heated through, about 2 to 3 minutes. Divide vegetable mixture evenly among five ramekins.
- In a medium bowl combine cornmeal, 3/4 cup flour, baking powder, sugar, and salt. In a small bowl, slightly beat the egg yolk, then mix in the milk and oil. Add to the dry ingredients and mix until uniform but a bit lumpy. Spoon the batter evenly over the filling.
- Bake until the top of each pot pie is golden brown, about 12 minutes.
Powered by Recipage