The components of this salad include veggies, whole grains and an orange ginger dressing. The recipe comes from Oh She Glows which is based on a Whole Foods layered salad. While the layered salad looks pretty, I prefer the easier one big bowl approach.
The first time I made this salad, I followed Angela's recipe exactly (minus parsley) and I didn't care for it as a raw, cold, crunchy salad (pictured below). However, as a warm salad with sauteed vegetables, I think it's wonderful. The dressing is my favorite element!
So are you wondering how these Trader Joe's grains can be cooked so quickly? Here's what the February 2013 Fearless Flyer says "The grains are cleaned, then cooked with steam, then dried, then cooked a bit more with hot air, then cleaned again and packed. This process preserves the nutritive values of the grains, while cutting their cooking time from 30-50 minutes down to 10."
Whole Grain Salad
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 5 minutes
Ingredients (serves 4)Dressing
- 2/3 cup orange juice
- 1/3 cup apple juice
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon fresh minced ginger
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 1/4 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup edamame
- 2 large carrots, diced
- 1 large red pepper, diced
- 1 large green pepper, diced
- 5 cups cooked grains (such as quinoa, farro, barley, wheat berries)
- Add all dressing ingredients to a jar and shake until combined (or whisk together in a bowl), set aside.
- In a large skillet, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add all vegetables and saute for 5 minutes.
- In a large bowl, combine the vegetables, cooked grains and dressing. Store for up to 5 days refrigerated.
Powered by Recipage