I find that bean salad from the deli or salad bars is hit or miss. Many times the sugar to vinegar ratio isn't quite right. It either makes you pucker or it's too sweet. I think the ratio with this recipe is perfect.
Another reason I like this salad is that you can add almost any type of beans from your cupboard. Today, I used kidney, wax, lima, green and garbanzo.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 5 minutes
Ingredients (serves 12)
- 5 cans (15 oz each) of beans, rinsed and drained (I use kidney, lima, green, wax and garbanzo)
- 1 cup chopped sweet onion
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 3/4 cup white sugar
- 2/3 cup distilled white vinegar
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried dill weed
- 1/4 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Mix beans with onion and bell peppers in a large bowl.
- In a small saucepan, combine vinegar, oil, sugar, herbs and salt. Stir over medium heat until sugar dissolves; do not boil.
- Pour warm dressing over bean mixture, and marinate for at least 2 hours in the refrigerator before serving.
Powered by Recipage