I love recipes that taste great, are easy to make and have nutritious ingredients. This recipe meets two of those criteria. There are several steps, which means it is not the easiest recipe to make, but I promise the result is worth the effort. I would imagine that you could cook the lentils and rice ahead of time, but I haven't tried that yet myself.
Jamaican Jerk Lentil Burger
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Ingredients (4 burgers)
Jamaican Jerk Seasoning
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 1/4 teaspoons dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup lentils
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup quick brown rice
- 1 cup water
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ large shallot, minced
- 1 ½ teaspoons grated fresh ginger
- 1 ½ teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon Jamaican Jerk seasoning
- ¼ carrot, shredded
- ½ cup panko
- ¼ cup chopped parsley
- ½ tablespoon lime juice
- ½ cup light mayonnaise
- 1 1/3 tablespoons Jamaican Jerk seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon Sriracha sauce
- 4 whole-wheat hamburger buns, toasted
- In a small bowl, combine spices to make Jamaican Jerk seasoning. Set aside.
- Bring 2 cups of water to a boil in a large saucepan. Meanwhile, spread lentils out on a light colored plate to check for, and remove, small stones or debris. Then place lentils in a strainer, and rinse thoroughly under cool running water.
- After the water comes to a boil, add the rinsed lentils. When water returns to a boil, cover with the lid tilted, and turn down the heat to gently simmer. Green lentils usually take about 25 minutes, while red ones require 15 minutes. When the lentil become slightly mush, remove from heat, drain any excess water and set aside.
- When the lentils have approximately 15 minutes cook time remaining, place rice and 1 cup of water in a microwave-safe bowl. Cover, and cook for 7 minutes on high. Let stand 5 minutes. Set aside.
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add shallot, ginger, and garlic, and cook for 2 minutes, stirring frequently. Mix in 1 tablespoon Jamaican Jerk seasoning salt and continue cooking for 2 minutes. Remove from heat and mix in the cooked rice, cooked lentils, and carrot.
- Pour mixture into a large bowl and add panko, parsley, and lime juice. Then mash together until mixture can be shaped into patties. This recipe makes four or five patties, depending on the size of the patties.
- Heat a large skillet (same one as before) coated with cooking spray over medium heat. Saute patties for 3 minutes on each side. While patties are cooking, mix the mayonnaise, Sriracha sauce and remaining Jamaican Jerk seasoning to make the spicy aioli.
- Spread the spicy aioli on the top and bottom of each toasted bun, then add a burger, and lettuce, onion and tomato, if desired.
Spark People -Jamaican Lentil Burger, All Recipes - Jerk Seasoning, Food Network - Spicy Aioli
Powered by Recipage