This apple dessert is one of my family's favorite recipes. The recipe comes from my grandma's friend who brought it to many church potlucks, and is a dessert she called "dutch apple cake."
My dad refers to it as dutch apple pie, and I think of it as being more a tart, which is what led me to try it out in my 4" tart pans.
These tarts come together really easily. A couple notes - the crust and topping will both be crumbly, don't worry about trying to make it smooth or having large chunks of butter. Also, the topping will obscure the apple slices, so no one will be able to tell if you arranged them in a pretty pattern :)
For this recipe, I chose to use Golden Delicious apples since I had them from my recent trip to Barthel Fruit Farm. If you prefer to use tart apples, such as Granny Smith, I'd recommend increasing the amount of sugar in the topping as noted in the recipe below.
We typically just top this apple dessert with vanilla ice cream, but after picking up caramel sauce from Becky's Blissful Bakery yesterday, I wanted to try that too, and it was heavenly!
Even better, after drizzling each tart, you'll have to lick the spoon. You will then discover that Becky's caramel sauce tastes like an amazing melted version of her caramels. If I were you, I'd pick up a jar for everyone on your Christmas list...and if you're not in the area, she'll ship it to you!
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Ingredients (five servings)
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 3 Golden Delicious apples, peeled and sliced
- 1/4 cup sugar (1/2 cup sugar if using tart apples)
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons butter
- vanilla ice cream (optional)
- caramel sauce (optional)
- Heat oven to 425 degrees.
- In a medium bowl, combine flour, salt and sugar. In a measuring cup, combine oil and milk in measuring cup, whip with a fork. Pour into flour mixture. Mix with fork until dampened.
- Divide among five 4" tart pans, pat out to cover the bottom of each tart pan. Arrange apples over pastry, then sprinkle some cinnamon over the apples.
- In a small bowl, mix sugar, flour and salt. Cut in butter with a fork until crumbly. Sprinkle mixture over top of apples.
- Bake for 15 minutes (25 minutes for an 8x8 pan). Apples will barely brown, do not over bake. Serve with vanilla ice cream, drizzle with caramel sauce, if desired.
Powered by Recipage