A new goal of mine is to start using some of the random things I've picked up at Trader Joe's over the past few months, and one of those items was sweet chili sauce. So I googled it and stopped at the first recipe link because it was from one of my favorite blogs, Daily Garnish.
I modified the recipe based on the contents of my CSA box, but in general followed Emily's recipe pretty closely. Photographing the veggies is excellent motivation for me to have everything chopped prior to turning the stove on. I have a terrible habit of chopping as I go, and I always fall behind.
One issue I commonly have when making stir fry is that I'm not sure how much longer to cook some veggies than others. Following the time frames in Emily's recipe, I cooked the broccoli and carrots first for 3 minutes.
Then I added the peppers and water chestnuts, cooking for another 3 minutes before adding the cabbage. I'm happy to say that the veggies were done perfectly!
After having this stir fry for lunch, Chris commented that we don't eat stir fry nearly as often as used to. A couple years ago, we were making stir fry all the time because we weren't sure what else to do with our CSA veggies. Thankfully we have now tried many recipes, so we have more options!
Sweet Chili Stir Fry
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Ingredients (serves 3-4)
- 1 cup brown rice
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small head of broccoli, cut into florets
- 2 large carrots, julienne
- 1 large green bell pepper
- 8 oz can of water chestnuts, drained
- 1 small head of cabbage, thinly sliced
- 3 tablespoons sweet chili sauce (such as Trader Joe's)
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- Prepare brown rice according to package directions.
- In a deep saute pan (or wok), heat olive oil or medium high heat. Add broccoli and carrots, cook for 3 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add peppers and water chestnuts. Saute for another 3 minutes. Add cabbage and stir to combine. Cover with lid and steam for 3 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the sweet chili sauce, soy sauce and sesame oil. Drizzle the dressing over the stir fry and stir to coat.
- Remove from heat and salt if desired. Serve over brown rice.
Powered by Recipage