Last night, we had ratatouille as a side dish, along with cheese sticks from Papa John's. Are you cringing? We try to eat healthy and avoid takeout pizza places, but hey, at least we had lots of farm fresh vegetables on the side :)
I had leftovers for lunch today and paired it with pasta to make it a main dish. A note to my husband, a member of the protein police, I did have a glass of milk with lunch too. Chris pulled a pork chop out of the freezer this morning, to pair with his portion of the leftover ratatouille for dinner tonight.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 45 minutes
Ingredients (serves 4)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons dried parsley
- 1 medium eggplant (about 4 cups), cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- salt to taste
- 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 zucchini, sliced and then cut in half
- 1 medium onion, sliced into half rings
- 2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 green bell pepper, cut in strips and then in half
- 2 large tomatoes, chopped
- Heat oven to 350 degrees. Coat bottom and sides of a 3 quart casserole dish (2.8 liters) with 1 tablespoon of olive oil.
- In a large skillet, heat remaining tablespoon of olive oil over medium heat. Saute garlic until lightly browned. Mix in parsley and eggplant. Saute until eggplant is soft, about 10 minutes.
- Spread eggplant mixture evenly across bottom of prepared casserole dish. Lightly salt, then sprinkle with a few tablespoons of Parmesan cheese.
- Spread zucchini in an even layer over top. Lightly salt and sprinkle with a little more cheese.
- Continue layering in this fashion, with onion, mushrooms, bell pepper, and tomatoes, covering each layer with a sprinkling of salt and cheese.
- Bake for 45 minutes.
Adapted From: All Recipes
Powered by Recipage