The key ingredient for this shortcut recipe is Thai Red Curry sauce, which I buy from Trader Joe's, but I've seen it at other grocery stores too. This curry sauce satisfies both Chris and I, despite our wildly different preference for spicy food.
The other two Trader Joe's items I like with this meal are their quick-cook organic brown basmati rice and their tandoori naan.
There are two different versions of naan sold at Trader Joe's, one fresh, one frozen and both labeled "Tandoori Naan." It's counter-intuitive, but the frozen version is so much better than the fresh version!
Thai Red Curry
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Ingredients (serves 4)
- 1 cup jasmati rice
- 2 cups water
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced (a sweet onion works well too)
- 1 tsp grated fresh ginger
- 1 summer squash, cut into 1/4" half moons
- 2 carrots, thinly sliced
- 11 oz Trader Joe's Thai Red Curry Sauce
- 1/2 cup coconut milk
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 red bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 15 oz can of chickpeas
- In a large saucepan, combine rice and water. Bring to a boil, stir once.
- Cover; reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Remove from heat and let stand (covered) for 5-10 minutes longer.
- In a 12-inch skillet, heat olive oil over medium-high heat, then and add garlic, ginger and onion. Cook for 1 minute.
- Add summer squash, season lightly with salt and pepper, then saute for 5 minutes.
- Reduce heat to medium-low, add curry sauce, coconut milk, red bell pepper, peas and chickpeas. Cover pan and let simmer for 10 minutes.
- Serve curry over rice.
Powered by Recipage