Outpost Natural Foods - orzo
My Container Garden - parsley and chives
Oro di Oliva - olive oil and balsamic vinegar
LaClare Farms - goat cheese (delivered with CSA box)
Wauwatosa Farmers' Market - cucumber and kohlrabi
HighCross Farm CSA - carrots (Scarlet Nantes variety)
I used my favorite 18-year balsamic vinegar but next time I plan to use a white balsamic vinegar because the dark vinegar colored the orzo and kohlrabi. It would have done the same to the goat cheese, but I initially forgot to add it, so it wasn't part of the salad when I mixed in the dressing.
Orzo Vegetable Salad
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Ingredients (8 servings)
- 1 cup orzo
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon white balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 cucumber, chopped
- 2 large carrots, chopped
- 1 kohlrabi, chopped
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped parsley
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped chives
- 4 oz goat cheese, crumbled/cubed
- Fill a large saucepan with water to cook the orzo. Bring to a boil, add orzo and cook for about 9 minutes.
- Drain, then transfer to a large bowl. Add a tablespoon of oil to help keep the pasta from sticking together, and stir to coat the pasta in oil. Let cool.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl thoroughly whisk all the dressing ingredients together, combine ingredients in a jar and shake.
- After the pasta has cooled, add the vegetables, fresh herbs and cheese. Mix well. Pour dressing on the mixture, then mix together.
- Taste for seasoning. Add additional salt and pepper, as desired. Place in a serving bowl, and chill until serving.
Powered by Recipage