All of the recipes are similar, of course, as you're just cracking an egg into a bell pepper ring, but there are differences in regard to cooking the yolk. Some people flip it, some broil it and others (like me) cover the skillet with a lid.
To make this recipe, all you really need is eggs and bell peppers. We topped ours with basil and goat cheese, and Chris added salsa to his. I've also seen suggestions to add crumbled bacon.
I intended to also add chopped green onions, but completely forgot. I even chopped them last night in preparation for breakfast this morning. Oh well, I'll try this recipe with green onions next time.
Once you have your ingredients ready, heat a skillet coated in cooking spray over medium heat. Add bell pepper rings, and cook for 3 minutes.
Next crack one egg into each bell pepper ring and season with salt and pepper. Don't worry if your egg whites leak. As you can see from the photo, mine definitely did. The large green bell pepper rings were perfect, but the red rings were too small to hold an entire egg.
Once the egg whites have set, cover your skillet with a lid to trap the heat and allow the yolks to firm up. This is necessary if you prefer your eggs cooked medium or hard, and allows you to avoid having to flip the egg and pepper.
I added the shredded cheese and basil after the eggs were done cooking, but next time I'd add both during the last minute of cooking to allow the cheese to melt. Don't get me wrong it was still delicious the way we had it today :)
Fried Eggs in Bell Pepper Rings
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 6 minutes
- bell peppers, cut into 1/3" rings
- toppings such as: shredded cheese, fresh basil, green onions, salsa
- Coat a large skillet with cooking spray and heat over medium heat. Add bell pepper rings to pan and cook for 3 minutes.
- Add one egg to each bell pepper ring, and season with salt and pepper. Once the egg whites have set, cover the skillet with a lid and cook until the yolks have firmed up.
- During the last minute or so of cooking time, top each egg with basil and shredded cheese if desired.
- Remove eggs from skillet, and add any other desired toppings.
Powered by Recipage