It's early, so the selection was limited, but I still found quite a few things I wanted. I purchased rhubarb, asparagus, ramps, popcorn and strawberry-rhubarb jam. I used the asparagus and ramps today to make a spring risotto for lunch, and it was so good that I ate until I was beyond full.
Yesterday was the first time I had ever seen ramps. The sign said "first and last chance to buy ramps," so I grabbed three bunches. Apparently, our freakishly warm March weather caused the ramps to peak early this year.
Elise of Simply Recipes, gives a nice introduction to ramps...
"Also known as wild leeks or ramsons, ramps are one of the first delicacies of spring."
"You use ramps like green onions or young spring garlic."
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 23 minutes
Ingredients (serves 4)
- 1 cup frozen edamame (or frozen peas)
- 1 pound asparagus, trimmed and cut into 3/4-inch pieces
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 bunches ramps (or green onions), white parts only, chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 cup Arborio rice
- 1/2 cup shredded carrots
- 2 cups chopped fresh spinach
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- In a large saucepan, bring 4 cups water to a boil. Add edamame and asparagus, cook for 2 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- In the large saucepan, bring broth and water to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer and cover.
- Meanwhile, heat olive oil over medum heat. Add ramps (or green onion) and garlic; cook for 5 minutes, stirring frequently. Add rice, cook 1 minute.
- Add 1 cup hot broth mixture to the rice, stirring constantly. Conintue to cook and stir until liquid is absorbed. Add another 2 cups broth, 1/2 cup at a time, to rice. Cook and stir frequently until liquid is absorbed, 18 to 20 minutes.
- Stir in remaining broth, edamame, asparagus, and carrots. Stir until rice is slightly creamy and just tender.
- Remove from heat and quickly stir in spinach, Parmesan, thyme, salt and pepper. Serve immediately.
Powered by Recipage