Simple soups can be the best ones. The ingredient list for this lentil soup is short, but it's full of so much flavor! In fact, the ingredient list could be even shorter because I don't think chives add much to it. I wouldn't add chives unless you have them growing in your garden.
If you've never browned butter before, you may want to read a quick guide on Simply Recipes that I found helpful because it's fairly easy to overcook it.
Curried Lentil Soup with Brown Butter
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Ingredients (serves 6)
- 5 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 5 1/2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 1/2 cups green lentils
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 1/2 cup coconut milk
- 1/4 teaspoons salt
- 1 bunch fresh chives, minced (optional)
- In a large soup pot, heat 2 tablespoons butter, onion and garlic over medium heat. Cook and stir for 3 minutes.
- Add vegetable broth and lentils, then bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer and cook for 25 minutes.
- Meanwhile, warm 3 tablespoons butter in a small saucepan over medium heat and let it brown. When you smell a nutty aroma, stir in the curry powder and saute for 30 seconds.
- Remove soup pot from heat and stir in coconut milk and salt. Puree with an immersion blender to desired consistency. Stir in half of the brown butter. Serve drizzled with the remaining brown butter and sprinkled with chives, if desired.
Powered by Recipage