I made just a couple minor changes to the original recipe, and since I didn't have time for a slow cooker, I cooked it on the stove. The recipe is written in a way that only benefits stay at home moms, because it cooks on high for an hour, then on low for an additional 4 hours, which is not very conducive to my work schedule.
Not only does this recipe taste great, but it's really easy to make. I love recipes that involve combining all the ingredients, turning the stove on and then walking away for 30 minutes. I had very few dishes to wash as well, which is always a bonus when you don't have a dishwasher.
African Peanut Soup
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Ingredients (4 main dish servings)
- 1/2 cup red lentils, rinsed
- 15oz can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 large sweet potato, cut into 1/2 inch cubes (about 2 cups total)
- 14oz can fire roasted tomatoes
- 15oz can light coconut milk
- 2 1/2 cups vegetable broth
- 2 tablespoons peanut butter
- 1 1/2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garam masala
- 1 teaspoon. cumin
- 1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- In a stockpot, combine all ingredients. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for 30 minutes.
Powered by Recipage