I recently noticed Pinterest activity on my black bean stuffed peppers recipe which reminded me that I haven't made that recipe since June of last year, even though we really liked it.
I bought mini peppers at the grocery store over the weekend, so I tried a new variation for dinner tonight and it was delicious!
In addition to using mini peppers, I also used quinoa in place of brown rice. You could leave the co-jack cheese off the top and this would be an incredibly healthy recipe.
Deconstructed Quinoa Black Bean Stuffed Peppers
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 15-25 minutes
Ingredients (serves 6-8)
- 1/2 cup quinoa
- 1 cup water
- 3 oz cream cheese, softened
- 1 can (10oz) diced tomatoes and green chilies, undrained
- 1 can (4oz) diced green chiles
- 1 can (15oz) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 cups coarsely chopped fresh spinach
- 4 bell peppers (or 20oz mini peppers), any color, chopped into 1/2" pieces
- 1/2 cup minced onion
- 3/4 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 cup shredded co-jack cheese
- In a small saucepan, combine quinoa and water. Bring to a boil, cover, and simmer over low for 10 minutes. Remove from heat, and let stand 5 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray 8 ramekins or an 11-cup baking dish with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, stir cream cheese until smooth. Then stir in remaining ingredients, except shredded cheese.
- Fill each ramekin or place entire mixture in large baking dish. Sprinkle with cheese and bake ramekins for 15 minutes (11-cup baking dish for 25 minutes).
Powered by Recipage