I followed a recipe on Allrecipes.com for the chili seasoning. As long as you've got the necessary 9 ingredients in your cupboard, I think it's preferable to make your own seasoning so you can adjust it as desired. For example, I completely omit the crushed red pepper and have Chris add it to his own bowl.
No chili is complete without corn bread or corn muffins, so I made my favorite corn muffin recipe while the chili was cooking.
Sweet Potato Chili with Quinoa & Black Beans
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour
Ingredients (6-8 servings)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic (about 8 cloves)
- 4 cups water
- 1 1/2 pounds sweet potatoes, peeled and chopped into 1/2-inch chunks
- 28 oz can diced tomatoes
- 3/4 cup uncooked quinoa, rinsed
- 3 - 15 oz cans black beans, rinsed and drained
- 4 oz can diced green chiles
- 2 tablespoons lime juice (from 1 lime)
- 1/4 cup chili seasoning (or substitute below)
- 1 1/4 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper (omit for mild chili)
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 3/4 teaspoon sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 3/4 teaspoon dried parsley
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- In a stockpot, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add onion and garlic, saute for 3 minutes.
- Reduce heat to medium-low, then add the remaining ingredients. Simmer for 1 hour or until sweet potatoes are tender, stirring occasionally (do not cover). Season with additional chili powder and salt as desired.
Recipe adapted from: The Healthy Everythingtarian and Allrecipes
Powered by Recipage