I made a couple minor changes to the recipe because I prefer fresh onion to dried, and we already had co-jack cheese, so I didn't buy Mexican-style as called for in the original recipe. Next time I'd like to try quinoa in place of brown rice to make it even healthier.
Black Bean Stuffed Peppers
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 35 minutes
Ingredients (6 servings)
- 3 oz cream cheeese, softened
- 1 can (15oz) diced tomatoes
- 1 can (4oz) diced green chiles
- 1 can (15oz) no salt added black beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 cups cooked brown rice
- 2 cups coarsely chopped fresh spinach leaves
- 1/2 cup minced onion
- 3/4 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 3 large (10oz each) bell peppers, any color
- 1/4 cup co-jack cheese, shredded
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Pour 1 1/4 cups water into the bottom of a 9x13 baking pan.
- In a large bowl, stir cream cheese until smooth. Then stir in tomatoes, beans, rice, spinach, onion, cumin and oregano.
- Cut peppers in half, remove seeds and membranes. Fill each with 3/4 cup rice mixture.
- Place in prepared pan and sprinkle with cheese. Bake for 35 minutes, adding water to the pan if necessary.
- Serve immediately, as they cool quickly.
Source: Taste of Home Cooking School magazine, Spring 2011
Powered by Recipage