These burrito bowls are very customizable with quinoa and the black bean pepper mixture just serving as a base. I like to add mild salsa, co-jack cheese and avocado. Chris adds fresh tomato and spices his up with hot salsa.
Quinoa Black Bean Burrito Bowls
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Ingredients (4 servings)
- 2/3 cup quinoa
- 1 1/3 cups water
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 large bell peppers (any color), diced
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon chili powder (or taco seasoning)
- 15 oz can of black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- salsa or pico de gallo
- grated cheddar or jack cheese
- sour cream or plain Greek yogurt
- diced tomatoes
- hot sauce or sriracha
- sliced avocado or guacamole
- green onions, chopped
- Rinse quinoa in a mesh strainer, drain and transfer to a small saucepan. Add water and bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat to medium low and simmer until water is absorbed, 10 to 12 minutes. Set aside for 5 minutes, uncovered.
- After quinoa has finished cooking, heat oil over medium heat in a large skillet. Add peppers, green onions and chili powder; cook 5 minutes. Stir in bean and lime juice, cooking 1 minute more. Remove from heat.
- Divide quinoa among four bowls, then divide the black bean mixture and finally add desired toppings.
Powered by Recipage